“World Class technology and support from concept to finished product”
The site, through the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), has world class technology capabilities in areas such as accelerator science, high performance computing, modelling & simulation, micro and nano technology, sensors & sensor networks, detectors, metrology etc.
- STFC has core skills in prototyping, systems integration, engineering and project management which enables them to assist in moving technology up to Technology Readiness levels 6–7.
- STFC has key expertise in relevant application areas of technology through their Futures teams including defence and security, energy, healthcare and the environment.
- STFC also runs the Innovations Technology Access Centre that enables companies to rent full-fitted lab space on a short-term, long-term or project-specific basis. It also provides access to several million pounds worth of analytical and sample preparation equipment.
“Open door to the right resource”
The site team strategically engages with the management team of the SME businesses that move onto site in order to understand their business strategy and key challenges. Through the utilisation of the 3500+ Sci-Tech Daresbury network and its strategic partnerships, the site team will facilitate the right connections to help the SME unlock the challenges and maximise its potential growth.
- About 50% of companies on the site collaborate with each other delivering over £1 million of value in terms of sales creation and cost savings.
- Similarly 70% of the companies on site are engaging with at least one University or STFC delivering over £1 million of value in terms of sales creation and cost savings, as well as bringing in critical expertise to the business.
- In 2011, 62% of companies on site developed 125 new products and services.
- The site is also a portal to a European network of skills, and strategic technology and/or business development capabilities. This is supported by the direct relationships we have with about 400 high-tech SMEs in our network plus the access to 3000+ SMEs through our network’s network.
- We also actively facilitate strategic engagements and partnerships with a number of corporates including the likes of IBM, Cisco, Microsoft, BAE Systems, Boots and Unilever.
“At the forefront of business growth”
In over 7 years of operation of the site only 10 companies have failed. Of these 10 companies, one was acquired by another campus companies and 7 have phoenixed. Companies on the site have seen their sales grow an average of 37%/year over the past four years.
- Investment into companies on the site has quadrupled in 4 years to £75m including a growth of over £10m in 2011.
- Sci-Tech Daresbury (formerly Daresbury SIC) is the holder of the UK Science Park’s “Outstanding Science Park” Award for its track record in developing a collaborative culture and engaging its companies with the knowledge-base in the Universities.
- The site team has a successful track record of engaging SMEs with each other but also developing collaborations with a wide variety of corporates including IBM, SGI, Cisco, Unilever, Microsoft etc.
- Nearly 500 new products and services have been developed by companies on site in the last three years.
“Walking the Funding talk”
In total our companies have raised approximately £75m of investment with £10.7m of investment raised in 2011.
We make it our business to understand the relevant funding landscape for our high-tech SMEs whether this is through public sector R&D support initiatives (25 of our companies have secured approximately £2m of R&D funding over the past 3 years), public and private sector Venture Capital funds (our SMEs have raised about £21m from VC funds or business angel networks).
STFC also operate a proof of concept fund which can provide up to £20,000 of investment to take technology developed within STFC to concept stage in collaboration with business.
“We making accessing intelligence easy”
Daresbury is a portal into the UK university network through STFC, who have collaborative partnerships and activities (eg the Collaborative Computational Programmes managed through the Computational Science and Engineering group at Daresbury) with virtually all UK universities – they can be regarded as an independent broker to identify where the appropriate expertise resides in the UK.
Sci-Tech Daresbury, as one of two national science and innovation sites, is also a focal point in the UK for multi-partner projects involving Universities, corporates and/or government departments. An example of this is the planned Centre of Excellence for High performance computing which will be the focal point for high performance computing, modelling and simulation tackling large-scale challenges facing the UK economy.
Sci-Tech Daresbury has an excellent track record connecting the SMEs on site into the University network, Department of Work and Pensions, National Health Service, UK Sport and a variety of large corporates including Cisco, IBM, SGI, Microsoft, Boots, Rapiscan, Unilever etc.
“The business fast track to UK & Europe”
The site is ideally located only 20 minutes’ drive from 2 international airports with connections to over 250 destinations worldwide including a widespread network across Europe and direct connections to the USA.
- The site is located within a 10–15 minute drive of two main line rail stations with connection to London in 2 hours. Consequently it can be considered an ideal entry-point into the UK and European market.
- The site is situated within a 10–15 minutes’ drive to the main N-S (M6) and E-W (M56/M62) motorway networks.
- 3.5 million people in employment live within a 1 hour commute of Daresbury including not only the Liverpool and Manchester city areas but also as far away as North Wales, Lancashire, Yorkshire and the North Midlands. About one-third of these people are educated to degree level or above.
- It is strongly positioned to reach several key research centres within a 2 hour drive including the likes of the Universities of Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan, Salford, Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford, Birmingham and the STFC Daresbury Laboratory.
- There are strong technology clusters within easy access from Daresbury including Media City in Salford & the gaming clusters in Liverpool, the biomedical cluster in the Liverpool-Manchester corridor and the Aerospace cluster from Central Lancashire to Cheshire.
- There are a large number of corporates who have major technology centres in the region including Astra Zeneca, BAE Systems, IBM, Pilkington, Sony Computer Entertainment, Thermo Fisher and Unilever.
“The place your customers want to visit”
Sci-Tech Daresbury has both a highly credible and widely recognised technology branding. In addition it provides a great open collaborative environment with high-quality facilities. Consequently it is an ideal location for SMEs and start-ups to invite customers to, enhancing their credibility.
- In a year about 5000 visitors will visit the site.
- It is also a location that regularly attracts senior people from Corporates, Universities, Research Councils and Government organisations, providing opportunities for introductions to be made to key decision-makers.