The Hartree Centre is transforming UK competitiveness by accelerating the adoption of data-centric computing, big data and cognitive technologies.
Backed by over £170 million of government funding and with significant strategic partnerships with organisations such as IBM and Unilever, the centre applies the most technically advanced high performance computing, data analytics and machine learning innovations from the research community and its partners to address real life challenges and deliver transformative gains in performance, innovation and time to market for UK industry.
Working with technology partners, the Centre is undertaking research to develop the next generation of large-scale, data-centric computing platforms and technologies.
Hartree Centre services include:
- Collaborative projects: working with clients on a commercial basis or as a partner in a funded research project to create value by accelerating their R&D, improving processes and reducing costs.
- Research (invention/proof of technology) projects: working in collaboration with IBM Research and clients to invent application combing data-centric computing, data analytics and cognitive techniques to solve real-world industrial problems and to create economic and societal impact.
- Software development and optimisation: modernising and optimising code multi-core, many-core and data-centric systems. Engineering solution for energy efficiency (cost to answer) and time to answer.
- Platform as a service: providing clients with the power required to improve their own products and services for just a few pence per core hour, and access to Hartree computing platforms on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Training and skills: providing a wide range of training programmes, workshops and events – often with partners – on topics such as data analytics, code optimisation, visualisation, modelling and high performance computing.
Facilities available include:
- High performance computing. (Open Power, Intel and ARM platforms)
- Big Data analytics clusters – rested, streaming and predictive
- Cognitive computing platforms, including IBM Watson
- Energy efficient platforms
- Visualisation suites